It is that time of year when feverish preparations begin – the Examination Fever. Many young students are getting ready for the biggest test of the academic lives, one that’ll determine their choice of career and how their futures will shape up. The 10th standard examinations or Board Examinations follow many patterns based on the syllabi and the academic councils the schools are affiliated to. Getting high marks and percentages overall in every subjects is key to enhancing odds of an excellent education in a reputed institution; therefore students should take extra steps in equipping themselves well in the preparations for exam study.
Students as of this level have six to seven subjects with allocation of marks and grades combined for a topic grouping. Mathematics and Science take predominance over other subjects like Social Studies, English or Other Languages waec runz. The reason being for most technical courses post school and getting admitted into college be determined by excellent percentages in those two subjects. While subjects like English be determined by the student’s excellent uptake of grammar and presentation of answers in a nice format with the relevant points concisely written, Mathematics and Science depend largely on accuracy in answers and results.
Some examination strategies for High School
• By understanding the format of exams corresponding to the syllabus undertaken, students can work-out a study schedule based on subjects that require more attention and time. Having a timetable based subject-wise and topic-wise will greatly benefit your study schedule; bear in mind to complete the schedule depending on the timetable you’ve prepared
• Discussing previous question paper samples and guides helps obtain an insight into the type of questions which can be expected and prepare a mental plan on how best to answer the questions
• Resorting to malpractices or depending entirely on memorizing content could be disastrous. In the event of exam panic or a wrong move, the mind goes into a freeze making thinking and recollection difficult. It is much better to know content, rephrase questions on what best to bring out the answers and keep doing the tasks over and over to master the strategy and analyze and correct mistakes, especially in problem solving
• One of the finest ways to retain content the student has read is to publish down points or make brief notes that will remember key points to get ready the flow of content
• When in doubt, seek help. Parents, teachers, friends, guides are usually around to help clear doubts. Published guides help but where they fail is the type of one on one interaction that you’ll have with peers and superiors
• Learn to apply time management which can be very essential in answering question papers. Practicing writing speeds might help improve answering skills when time is of utmost importance
Besides these academic tips, there are several areas that the student has to remember when preparing for Board exams.
i. Pick a study area without distractions and ambient noises from traffic, TV screens, computers and other gadgets that can be quite a disturbance or intrusion. Conversations with friends could be on a times when you have a break from studying
ii. Getting proper nutrition, exercise and sleep recharges the body and fills it with energy resources which are very essential. Skipping meals and sleeping less will tire the body and mind and leave you exhausted by the full time examinations arrive
iii. Avoid places and situations that can cause anger and negative emotions to surface. The unnecessary anxiety and worry won’t help in any way
iv. Always take constant breaks from study to re-energize the mind and body. Cramming mental performance with a lot of information or way too many facts in a brief span of time is not just a good idea. Take time off to indulge in a popular hobby like playing music, painting or photography; choosing a brief walk and meeting friends for a walk is a good idea provided this doesn’t cut into your daily study schedule and you are able to get back into study mode again